Sky: Children of the Light (shortened to Sky in-game) is an adventure indie game developed and published by Thatgamecompany. It was released on July 18, 2019 for iOS, with subsequent releases on April 7, 2020, for Android and Nintendo Switch on June 29, 2021.
In China, Sky is published by NetEase under the name Sky光·遇 (Sky Guāng·yù; roughly translates to Sky Light·encounter). There are some notable differences from the international version, such as exclusive cosmetics and Traveling Spirits different from the international versions.
From the award-winning creators behind Journey (2012 Game of The Year) and the highly-acclaimed Flower, comes a ground-breaking social adventure that is set to warm players hearts. Welcome to the enchanting world of Sky, a beautifully-animated kingdom waiting to be explored by you and your loved ones. In Sky, we arrive as Children of the Light, spreading hope through the desolate kingdoms.
In the kingdom of Sky, you will experience:
- Spirits: Relive spirits’ memories throughout the land and return them to their realms’ temples to be rewarded with their unique expressions and see the items they offer you in their constellations.
- Expressions: Learn expressions from spirits and use them to communicate with others. Upgrade these expressions to unlock more creative and elaborate animations.
- Friendship and Forging Candles: Make friends with players around the globe! Collect light to forge candles, offer them to upgrade your friendship to unlock special expressions to share between one another, and use them to send the gift of a heart to strengthen your connections with others.
- Cosmetics: Grow your friendship with the spirits you’ve encountered and offer them candles and hearts to be rewarded with items to enhance your appearance.
- Explore the Skies: Collect scattered Children of Light throughout every Sky Realm to increase your cape power and soar to greater heights! Dive into the clouds to instantly recharge your cape. Interacting with others will also restore your energy.
- Daily Quests: Complete daily quests to receive up to four candles per day. Candles are used to upgrade friendships and abilities with spirits and other players.
- Seasons and Events: Celebrate new spirits and special occasions with other players! Adventure seasons bring unique spirits, expressions, and collectibles to reflect the world of Sky, and events offer an assortment of playful and colorful items to revel in the festive mood.
- Traveling Spirits: Past adventure seasons do not repeat, but the spirits and their unique cosmetics will return for a limited duration in case you missed them during their initial debut.
- Graphics: Enjoy stunning graphics at your fingertips. Sky supports several graphics settings to suit your preferences whether you play in docked mode (TV mode) or handheld mode.
The world of Sky: Children of the Light allows the player to explore a fantasy-based Kingdom, using free-roaming experience and a magical Cape that grants players the ability to fly. There are seven unique Realms to visit, and each one is themed around a different stage in life. In addition to these Realms, there is the player's Home, which serves as a hub. Throughout the game, the player will encounter Spirits which may be used to unlock Cosmetics and Expressions in return for in-game Currency. The player can also find Children of Light, which grant Winged Light – a Collectible item used to increase Cape Energy, allowing further flight.
Furthermore, the game heavily focus on social mechanics. The Kingdom of Sky is filled with other players from all over the world, which may all be befriended and interacted with. You can subsequently unlock new abilities such as Chat, enabling lasting relationships and deeper connections.
As the events goes by so does the icons of the App. See below the different icons as the years passed.
On July 31 2020 thatgamecompany released volume 1 of the game's official soundtrack, followed by volume 2 on July 16 and Volume 3 on July 30, 2021. See Original Sound Track for more info.
On December 12 2019, a sticker pack with 24 Sky chat sticker was announced for iMessage and on March 31 2020, they were added to LINE.
- Sky can be considered the spiritual successor to Journey and Flower, as;
- Both have cape-wearing characters (Wayfarers and Sky children, respectively) that could make noises and fly at the same time.
- (Chirps and Calls) Flight thanks to an article of clothing (scarfs and capes).
- The focus of both is friendship, not violence.
- Colorful Flowers found and scattered in Butterfly Fields may be a reference to the game "Flower," another game by TGC past decades before "Journey" was released.
- Both have similar finales (in the Mountain and Eye of Eden)
- Difference between "Sky" and "Journey" is about ways of communicating with people. "Sky" can use both calls/chirps and chat while "Journey" only uses calls/chirps.